Monday 9 March 2015

Pen and paper




Morning Pages are very helpful at getting the pen moving across the paper every morning, making me think, helping me to focus on writing something... anything. I actually love this part of the day when I'm writing in this book. I'm using a Waterman fountain pen given to me for my birthday a few years ago. It writes beautifully, the nib developing into exactly the shape I need for moving quickly across the page. It's pink, not a bright annoying shade but the kind of pastel colour of a sweet pea in summer. I'm writing in a book with A4 lined pages, bought in Jak's Stationer's on Narborough Road. I have lots of different notebooks on the go at the same time for different purposes but this is my favourite because it helps me to start writing in the morning.

There has been a lot written recently about handwriting with some commentators questioning if it will become obsolete in the next few years. Gaby Hinsliff, writing in the Guardian on February 27th, considered whether handwriting was necessary anymore. She suggested that most people write directly onto a computer, tablet or smartphone. I find it liberating to write a first draft in this book. I love the feel of the pen touching the page, moving along and creating patterns that communicate, even if it's only communicating my thoughts back to me at a later date.